Almost a year ago, I wrote a library for Conway’s Game of Life—Seagull. It’s a fun project that serves as an outlet for my interests in cellular automata. This year, I used it for generating procedural art:
In Cellular Sprites, you generate 8-bit sprites using Conway’s Game of Life:
- Any live cell with two or three neighbors survives
- Any dead cell with one or less live neighbors becomes a live cell
- All other live cells die in the next generation. All dead cells stay dead
Note that these steps were based from yurkth/sprator. So all credit goes to him/her. In addition, the board size was first set to 4x8 before I ran the Game of Life Simulator. Afterwards, I flipped the board to create a square 8x8 image. It’s good that Seagull’s API design allowed for these changes, and it’s very easy to implement! You can check this example on how it’s done.
Lastly, Cellular Sprites was a learning opportunity for me to build and deploy a Streamlit application. Streamlit is awesome. I talked about it at length in one of my blog posts on Jupyter Notebooks. I’m not a web-developer (I suck at frontend), but I was able to create a decent UI in just a day of hacking!
I suggest trying-out Cellular Sprites on your own. Play with the parameters on
the sidebar to create cute 8-bit sprites! If you found something cool, feel
free to save the image and share to your friends! (If
iframe is not working,
click this link to redirect you to the Heroku